Vale United left stuck in the mud

Vale Utd were comfortably beaten in this Intermediate Cup and in turn, suffered their 1st defeat of the season, at the 13th time of asking.
With the possibility of the game being postponed throughout the week, it was left up to the referee to give the go ahead following a last minute pitch inspection, despite surface water covering the majority of one half of the pitch.
After a 2 week break due to other commitments, Vale were looking to get back into their stride, despite lacking the services of 2 ever-presents this season, in the shape of midfield maestro, Phil Caseley and man-of-the-moment, Jay Tominey. In came Gareth Owen and the once prolific Nathan Jenkins, both given a chance to re-establish a place in the starting XI.
Llangeinor were the quickest to adapt to the conditions and soon went in front, the right winger cutting back for the number 9 to slot into an empty net, despite Thomas Hopkin’s best efforts.
Shortly after, the away side doubled their advantage courtesy of a penalty, which was awarded after a clumsy challenge from Joe Williams and was comfortably slotted home. With the home side in disarray, it was soon 0-3, Llangeinor breaking the back line and the midfielder latching onto a cutback and arrowing a 1st time shot into the top corner.
Beleaguered home manager immediately hauled off 2 of his midfield 3, Gareth Owen and Richard Evans, and replaced them with the returning pair of Steve Harris and Jack Dummett.
The change didn’t reap immediate rewards but soon after the break, Ryan Jenkins clawed one back for the home side, though this was a false dawn, as Llangeinor restored their 3 goal cushion within 90 seconds with a goal almost identical to the 1st.
Quick goals were traded to take the score to 3-6, Jack Dummett with Vale’s 2nd and Alex Gregory scoring, without doubt, the goal of the game, with a rasping 30 yard free kick. Llangeinor scored a free kick of their own with minutes left and headed back to the Valley’s with a famous victory.