Dixon Hat-Trick Sinks Monmouth as Barry Town Win 3-1

It was an important game for Barry as they travelled up to Monmouth Town for the final league game before the cup final against TNS next week. Many Barry fans travelled to support the boys in gaining three points out of the game. From kick off, it didn’t take long for James Dixon, who had returned to the starting eleven after featuring from the bench last week to score the opening goal within the first two minutes. Barry were constantly on the attack for the next twenty minutes with a number of chances falling to both James Dixon and TJ Nagi, who were both unable to add a second. The Town continue to dominate possession throughout the first 25 minutes and wouldn’t let Monmouth gain an advantage.

In the 28th minute, Jordan Cotterill passed the ball to James Dixon who took on the Monmouth defenders and goalkeeper grabbed his second goal of the game. Two minutes later it looked as if Dixon was able to grab an early hat-trick but it wasn’t meant to be.

At half time it was 2-0 for Barry but it wasn’t over yet for the boys. In the second half, TJ Nagi and Jordan Cotterill pressured the defenders and had shots on target. There were crucial moments for Monmouth to try and get back into the game, as they continued to press forward but it was no match for the Barry defenders and goalkeeper, who successfully dealt with all attacks.

There is a reason why James Dixon has been given the nickname “Goalfather” as he sealed his an Barry’s third goal of the game. Monmouth managed to grab a late goal from a heavy deflection off a Barry defender, but it didn’t stop Barry from winning the game 3-1. Dixon was also voted Man of the match via Barry Towns twitter page also.


The result was enough to move the team up into second place after Cambrian & Clydach lost at home 0-1. Barry still have games in hand but for now, it has given the players confidence and determination to give their very best for next week’s game as they take on TNS in the final of the Nathaniel MG cup on 21st January.

Match report compiled by Rhys Deans @Deansy_boy