The Vale of Glamorgan Council’s Christmas events programme began this weekend with the Penarth Christmas festival. This week will see the lights come on across the rest of the Vale and the launch of the eagerly anticipated Ice Central events programme in Barry.
· High St Christmas Light Switch-On, Barry (Friday 25 November) – Enjoy festive street entertainers, walk the lantern trail, and listen to some live music from 4pm as the countdown begins to Barry’s first light switch-on.
· Ice Central launch, Barry (Saturday 26 November) – Central park will be home to Barry’s first ever ice rink as part of Ice Central. The undercover rink will open after the annual Christmas light switch-on at King Square at 5pm and then every day until Sunday 4 December.
· Llantwit Major Christmas Light Switch-On (Saturday 26 November) – Live music, stalls, a children’s craft area and a free Santa’s grotto are the main attractions at this year’s light switch-on in Llantwit Major. The lights go on at 7pm.
· St Athan Christmas Light Switch-On (Sunday 27 November) – There will be street entertainment, fairground rides and a brass band on offer in St Athan on Sunday where the lights will be switched on at 5pm.
· Cowbridge Reindeer Parade (Sunday 27 November) – The famous reindeer parade returns to Cowbridge with the switch-on of the town’s lights and a firework display to follow at 5:15pm.
To encourage more people to shop locally in the run up to Christmas the Vale of Glamorgan Council is also supporting a number of local initiatives.
· Penarth Late Night Shop (Thursday 1 December) – Festive special offers, refreshments, live music and carol singers will all combine from 5 – 8pm to tempt Penarth residents to shop local this Christmas.
· Dickensian Christmas Fayre, Dinas Powys (Friday 2 December) – The old village square in Dinas Powys will be hosting a selection of stalls selling crafts, cards, food & drink, and gifts from 6pm.
· Crafts for Christmas, St Donats (Sunday 4 December) – The annual event at St Donats Castle will this year have more than 50 stalls selling jewellery, wood, glass, ceramics, textiles and much more, with festive entertainment and an outdoor birds of prey display also on offer.
· Christmas Artisan Market, Barry (Saturday 10 December) – Fantastic festive crafts, art, food and music make up the offering at High Street’s first artisan market, which will run from 10am to 5pm.