The Daily Vale

Your Media

According to analysis, the United Kingdom may not use Russian gas this year

According to study, the UK could eliminate the need for Russian gas imports this year by combining energy efficiency, renewable energy generation, and a campaign to assist people change their behavior.

During the Covid-19 outbreak, information activities were crucial in influencing people’s minds. Many individuals are unsure of the energy savings they could achieve by making modest modifications that have no impact on their comfort but can significantly reduce their expenses.

Turning down thermostats and altering the “flow” temperature on condensing boilers, for example, could cut annual heating expenditures by more than 15%. Turning down the flow temperature, which controls the heat of water distributed to radiators but not the room temperature, could save up to 8 percent of yearly costs, while foregoing thermostats could save approximately 10%.

A good room temperature is from 18 to 21 degrees Celsius, yet many individuals set their thermostats to 22 degrees Celsius or higher.

According to the green think group E3G, these efforts, together with better insulation, shifting to heat pumps, and employing more energy efficient appliances, may slash Russian gas imports to the UK by 80% this year, saving roughly £150 on the average family bill. More power from renewables, like new windfarms as well as solar panels, might be used to eliminate the remaining 20%.

“With government help, ordinary UK families can play a big role in reducing Putin out of the energy system,” said Colm Britchfield, an E3G researcher as well as co-author of the report.

The research indicated that existing policies and methods can be used to make the shift if they are pursued more extensively. The local authority delivery programme, home upgrading grant, and public sector and social housing decarbonisation grants, for example, are estimated to be valued over £3.4 billion between 2022 and 2025.

Gas costs are skyrocketing as a result of Russia’s war, and Britain can’t avoid them

According to E3G, a £1.8 billion boost to the local authority delivery plan, which helps low-income people install heat pumps and energy saving measures, could serve 120,000 to 180,000 of the UK’s coldest houses.

The E3G researchers only focused at gas usage, but any public awareness campaign might also focus on petrol and diesel consumption, as better driving practices can significantly reduce fuel expenditures.

Because most of the UK’s gas originates from the North Sea and Norway, Russia is a modest supplier, accounting for only around 3% of the market, but lowering imports might help with the worldwide campaign to put more pressure on Vladimir Putin. Reduced gas use would also help to alleviate the rising cost of living crisis caused by rising fossil fuel costs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.