Barry Town United 3 – 0 Goytre United

Barry Town United were promoted back to the Welsh Premier league after a 13-year absence following a convincing 3-0 victory over Goytre United.

Goals from Luke Cooper, Tyrrell Webbe and a penalty from Drew Fahiya meant Barry were promoted for the first time since being relegated in the 2003/2004 season.

The performance was one of real professionalism and it would have delighted Gavin Chesterfield and his coaching staff.

The celebrations will for sure go long into the night for everybody involved within the club as they get ready for life in the Welsh Premier League.

It means with two games remaining, against Cambrian and Clydach away and Ton Pentre at home, Barry have secured promotion, Goytre United remain eighth, and have Afan Lido and Caldicot Town left to play in the Welsh League Division One.

Match Report

In this much anticipated match for Barry, it was the hosts who had the best chance in the early exchanges as Chris Hugh flashed in a dangerous free-kick, but his ball in was saved comfortably by Luke Martin in the Goytre United goal.

Luke Cooper then delighted the home faithful by taking the lead just after the 10 minute mark following a free-kick, which Goytre United failed to clear, and Cooper smartly turned and fired into the top of the net which sent the Barry bench and supporters into raptures.

Barry then breaked expertly with Tyrrell Webbe breaking excellently down the left-hand side, and his cross was put behind for a corner by Corey Francis, but from the following corner Barry were 2-0 up courtesy of a Tyrrell Webbe header, which nestled into the left-hand corner of the net and Barry were in a commanding position in their bid for promotion to the Welsh Premier League.

There was a real confidence about Barry’s play and Jordan Cotterill was next to try his luck but his effort flew just over Luke Martin’s goal.

Chris Hugh then drove a cross into the Goytre United box, which narrowly evaded the goal – Barry were well on top.

Cotterill was making a real menace of himself and his mazy run almost led to a third Barry goal, but his effort was well saved by Luke Martin.

But after excellent work from TJ Nagi, Barry were awarded a penalty after he was brought down in the box, and from the resulting penalty Barry were 3-0 up after a coolly slotted home penalty from Drew Fahiya, after he sent Luke Martin the wrong way to give him his fourth goal in two games.

Webbe was a real force in the heart of the Barry midfield throughout the first-half and his excellent delivery almost created another chance for Chesterfield’s men but the ball was put behind for a corner.

More good pressure from Barry created yet another chance, but TJ Nagi’s shot was well blocked, and it meant Goytre United could clear their lines.

Tyrrell Webbe was really up for this one, and he was desperate to double his tally and Barry’s, but his effort was put just over Martin’s goal.

Gavin Chesterfield would have been delighted with the way his side had applied themselves in the first-half as Barry brushed aside a team with the second best defensive record in the league, behind Barry.

Barry started the second-half as they finished the first and TJ Nagi looked to be away but the linesman adjudged him to be offside to the frustration of the Barry faithful.

Paul Morgan then played through Jordan Cotterill but his shot went wide of the left-hand post, as the game started to die out following three first-half goals from Barry.

A lovely flowing move almost led to a fourth Barry goal as TJ Nagi fed in Drew Fahiya, but Luke Martin was well up to the task.

Nagi was then through one-on-one, but Martin again prevented Barry from extended their lead further.

Another excellent driving run from Jordan Cotterill won a corner for Barry, and from the resulting corner TJ Nagi was a whisker away from finding that fourth goal.

But it just wouldn’t come, however that didn’t matter as Barry were promoted back to the Welsh Premier League and if they show the same desire and passion they have done in getting back to the Welsh Premier league there is no reason why Chesterfield’s men can’t remain in the Welsh Premier League next season.


Man Of The Match – Tyrrell Webbe

At the heart of everything Barry did in the first-half, and took his goal superbly – withdrawn mid-way through the second-half after putting in an excellent shift in midfield.

Final Word

This is exactly what the fans ordered and didn’t they deliver – an excellent showing from Barry Town United which would’ve delighted Gavin Chesterfield.

After years of uncertainty this is exactly what the fans deserve and Secretary Dave Cole will be more delighted than anyone after years of hard work.

You can see what it meant to everyone involved within the club at the full-time whistle and this is testament to the excellent bond between the fans and players at the club.

Goytre United would’ve been frustrated, though, having come into this game with the second best defensive record in the league, behind Barry.


Barry Town United: M Lewis, P Morgan, C Hugh, L Cooper, C  Watkins, J Saddler (C), T Webbe, T Greening, TJ Nagi, J Cotterill, D Fahiya

Subs: L Gerrard, C Sainty, L Baldock, R Evans, D Bradley

Goytre United: L Martin, C Owens, M Waters, T Hicks, S Berry, T Wellington, C Francis, D Blain, M Rose, L  John, D Williams

Subs: R Cole, R Ryan, S Jones, J Shannon, J Hubschmid

Referee: Teifion Cook

Photo credit – same old smith

Written by – Joshua Slack