Barry Town United 1-1 Penybont – Match Report


Barry played their first game at Jenner Park in 2017  and their opponents were Penybont, who were without Manager Rhys Griffiths, due to suspension. It was a great turnout at Jenner Park with nearly 500 fans coming out in support for their local team. A minute silence was observed before kick off for Barry Teenager, Morgan Ackerman, who tragically died this week, following a collision with a taxi on Barry Road.

The Cup finalists kicked off the game and in the eleventh minute were awarded a free kick right outside the box. Louis Gerrard stepped up and scored a wonderful free kick to put the town ahead. The celebrations did not last long though, as Penybont’s Joe Hopkins equalised in the sixteenth minute to make it 1-1 .

It was all hands on deck for Barry, Penybont kept trying to break the defence down and were coming back hard. Jordan Cotterill almost made it 2-1 for Barry but the opportunity went wide. Throughout the course of the first half, it was back and forth, with Penybont missing an opportunity from a free kick and the town missing several chances.

The second half started quiet. Penybont were promising, but the chances were no match for goalkeeper Mike Lewis. Jordan Cotterill again, made an attempt but was stopped by Penybont’s keeper, Rhys Wilson.

Penybont managed to break through and have a good shot on target, but Mike Lewis was on form with a great low save to stop it from going in the back of the net. Manager, Gavin Chesterfield then made two substitutions, James Dixon and Callum Sainty came on in an attempt to change the game and nick a wining goal. Both came close but were unable to get a breakthrough.

Barry had several chances in final few minutes from the game, including a long rang effort and a free kick which both hit the side netting, causing the fans to cheer in celebration thinking that Barry had scored.

There was one final chance for Barry from 6 yards out in the dying minutes of the game but the opportunity went over and it ended 1-1, earning a point for Barry in their last home match before the cup final against TNS in 2 weeks.

A tough game after a long break but hopefully, there will be improvement when they play away to Monmouth, next week.

Information provided by Rhys Deans.

Pic Credit – Welsh Girl on the Ball